Mark R. Diggory wrote:

> I personally think that the idea of "Commons" should become more
> "Virtual" and "Evolutionary" in nature.

> if theres ever the case that "xml commons" and "jakarta commons"
> could become a shared community, it would produce the following
> benefits

Mark, what you are saying is basically supporting the notion of decoupling
web presence from project oversight, and supporting the idea of federation
instead of containment.

A PMC oversees the code, resources, community for a project.  There is
nothing that prevents them from federating to produce portals as you
describe.  I have suggested it recently as one good approach.

Without going into details right now comparing various plans, let me note
that Federation is one approach being discussed on Jakarta General as part
of a larger reorganization discussion.

        --- Noel