Howdy,

>It sounds like you might have read the posts on tomcat-dev where I
suggest
>adding a ServletStreamListener interface to the servlet API. Since
>implementation of this interface is optional by servlet container users
(as
>all listener implementations are), wouldn't it be more appropriate to
do
>something that small and contained rather than what seems to be a
rather
>enormous undertaking ("create ... a low level server API abstraction
>perhaps even having a couple of implementations that explore using
>asynchronous IO via the NIO calls in J2SE 1.4")?

It's not small and contained for the container writers who have to
support that listener.  As we already discussed on tomcat-dev, that
would be extremely difficult to do in a performant manner.  And JavaDoc
isn't enough to help here.

>I'm not sure there's even been community demand for a low-level API
like
>the one you pointed out, but there certainly has been lots of demand
(in my
>experience) for a means of reliably obtaining a live count of "bytes
>read/bytes written" to/from the i/o streams.

There's been more demand for a low-level API as described by Craig than
for a live count of bytes in the servlet API, by far, in my experience.
As Craig said, the servlet API is designed to be a higher abstraction,
and consequently most developers who use it don't want to mess with the
low-level details (in fact, most are very happy they don't have to know
about them).

Yoav Shapira

and notify the sender.  Thank you.