There was a bugzilla issue opened about this, and a brief discussion about such, but I wanted to move it to the list for better visibility.

Basically if you have 2 date objects (e.g., java.util.Date and java.sql.Timestamp), ObjectUtils.equals() will return that they are not equal even if they represent the same point in time.

Unless someone objects, I was going to add DateUtils.equals(Date d1, Date d2) and the equality check will be what's returned from each date's getTime(). Just as an example:

long now = System.currentTimeMillis();
Date date = new java.util.Date(now);
Date ts = new java.sql.Timestamp(now);

ObjectUtils.equals(date, ts) = false; (as of 2.1)
DateUtils.equals(date, ts) = true;

Anyone have a different idea or think this is a bad idea?

--
Serge Knystautas
President