Todd V. Jonker wrote:
Serge, I'm not sure that your proposed method will do what you want.

You can't compare the results of java.util.Date.getTime() and
java.sql.Timestamp.getTime() because the latter is only precise to the
second, not the millisecond.  Likewise, java.sql.Date.getTime() is only
precise to the second.

I understand java.sql.Timestamp is a bit screwy, but if you read the javadoc for getTime() method, it says, "Returns the number of milliseconds since January 1, 1970, 00:00:00 GMT represented by this Timestamp object." So it should return milliseconds even if it is structurally holding something different underneath.

Regardless, it would help my situation... I'm using a db mapping layer (hibernate) and it sets a java.util.Date object from the ResultSet. My app code then prints to user, parses the data back, and I set the Date. I want to check whether the value is changed, and I'm actually only expecting resolution to date usually, sometimes to minute.

Just my two cents from painful experience...

You may want to revisit the JDBC drivers that put you through this. The ones I use now all do getTime() as milliseconds, and some of them used to do just seconds as the class-level javadoc implies. Maybe this was clarified in one of the more recent JVMs, dunno.

--
Serge Knystautas
President