robert burrell donkin wrote:

from my reading of the java specification, moving methods upwards in the inheritance hierarchy is backwards compatible (in binary terms). (hopefully someone will correct me if i've made a mistake.)

It's "recompile compatible" (i.e. it works if you recompile the calling program against the new classes, but not "binary compatible". I'm not sure I would sweat it on this particular point (as long we we made people aware of the requirement in release notes), but your second issue is more important.

it's possible that there are some cases of symantic incompatibility for user subclasses (overriding the deprecated methods that will never be called if the rule implementations are changed). since the methods have been deprecated for a long time now (digester 1.4, i think), for me, this isn't such an issue (as it once was) provided that it was strongly highlighted in the release documents.

If we were to stop calling the deprecated versions, we've definitely changed the semantics. It would essentially have the same semantic effect as actually removing the methods, so I think we should continue to call them until a 2.x series of Digester builds.

Maybe it's time to consolidate what we've learned from the 1.x versions of both beanutils and digester into more streamlined APIs, and start down that path?

i would be interest to hear what other people think about this one (including lurking users).

- robert

Craig