#1 is sufficient IMO.

#2 leads to scary places. For example, collections should really have a
JDK1.4 version that has decorators that add the RandomAccess interface as
appropriate. To achieve that and a serializable interface would require 4
classes:
- implements RandomAccess, Serializable
- implements RandomAccess
- implements Serializable
- none

Since serializable isn't typically checked by programs, it seems OK to
choose #1.

Stephen

From: "Noel J. Bergman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>