On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 10:31, Simon Kitching wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've just got stuck into removing the @author tags as agreed earlier (we
> can discuss about adding @author "Jakarta team" or similar later).
>
> But what should we do about the @version tag?
> This is present on about 50% of files.
>
> Is it needed? What purpose does it serve? What do other commons projects
> do wrt this tag?
>
> If we can agree that it is in or out, I can make that change at the same
> time as the @author change (remove it from all files or add it to all
> files).

Oh - one thought. If we're going to move to subversion sometime, then
subversion doesn't have a concept of file version numbers.

It does have the concept of "a repository version", which increments
with every commit to the repository. You can say "the version of the
file which was in repository version #86509" but not "the third commit
of this file".

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 10:47, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> Two common forms are
>
> @version $Id: $
> @version $Revision: $ $Date: $

So I gather you do use this in collections at least?

What benefit is there in having this info in the source?
I can't currently see any:
 * Developers can just use "cvs status".
 * End users just care that the file came from "version 2.1".
 * Maybe it is useful info when working with source snapshots,
   but that isn't very common.

What am I missing?

Cheers, Simon