matthew.hawthorne wrote:

Simon Kitching wrote:

What benefit is there in having this info in the source?
I can't currently see any:
* Developers can just use "cvs status".
* End users just care that the file came from "version 2.1".
* Maybe it is useful info when working with source snapshots, but that isn't very common.

What am I missing?

I think it's a convenience to be able to see when the last change was made, and who made it, in the source file -- instead of doing 'cvs status'. But that's about it.

I like having the "$Id$" string somewhere at the top of each file, because I often download the sources onto my laptop, and can't execute "cvs status" from an airplane.

However, with the recent craze over @author tags, maybe we shouldn't even be using $Id$ anymore, since it contains the committer's username.

The committer's username isn't going to be hidden even without $Id$, because "cvs log" will show it. But that's a totally separate thing from what @author is/was about.

Craig