okay, I've pushed the site and built the candidate release.
I have followed the instructions here:

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/releases/prepare.html

about uploading the candidate release:

Now tag (for example FOO_1_2_RC1) and build distributions from that tag (as
per full release). For commons components, it's usually unnecessary to post
the release candidate on the main release site. (It's usually good enough to
upload it into the public folder ~/public_html in your home directory on
cvs.apache.org.)

I have done this.  It's unclear to me that anyone else can access the release
there, so let me know.  This may once again be a case of stale instructions.

Once I have a clear sense of "uploading the candidate release" I will propose
a vote on releasing 1.2.0.