In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jeffrey D. Brekke writes:
>standard stuff won't do.  Or better yet, lets just put the two lines
>from the NOTICE.txt into the README.txt.

We can't do that because putting it in NOTICE is required by the Apache
License.  If I didn't miss anything, we're talking about is getting
NOTICE.txt into the jar and the tarball.  I'm no Maven maven, but it looks
like what you have to do is add the following to project.xml:
  <build>
    <resources>
      <resource>
        <directory>${basedir}</directory>
        <targetPath>META-INF</targetPath>
        <includes>
          <include>NOTICE.txt</include>
        </includes>
      </resource>
    </resources>
   </build>

That will take care of getting NOTICE.txt into the jar file.  Although,
for the life of me I can't tell how the jar plugin picks up on the
resource info ...  As far as getting the file into the distribution
goes, I think we're going to have to patch the dist plugin to make
it customizable and submit that to the Maven team, or just maintain our
own Commons dist plugin as Jeff suggested.  The dist plugin doesn't appear
to be customizable.  Of course, the Maven team will eventually add
<ant:include name="NOTICE*"/> to the dist plugin, but that doesn't solve
the general problem.  It seems like a lot of Maven plugins should be
extensible or at least customizable so they don't force a single way of
doing things on the end user.  Otherwise, you wind up having to write your
own plugins which is not exactly an efficient way to go about things when
an existing plugin already does most of what you need.  Which is to say
that it's better if we add a hook to the dist plugin that allows arbitrary
files to be pulled into a distribution and ask the Maven team to apply the
patch.

daniel