Thank you Martin!  That did the trick!

I think the documentation should be updated as you indicate, but should also
give explicit instuctions on building the site after changing the xml files.
It would appear that build.sh or build.bat should be run since these scripts
do a little more than just running ant against build.xml.

At any rate, it all looks well now!