[not really a direct answer of your email as I'm -0 to Commons creating
systems to create jar slices]

Tools to do such things to jars exist already I think from the Applet
days. I know I've written something that seemed to work for binaries but
had trouble with source [due to final variable inlining].

Personally I think that if project A needs Collection 2.0 and project B
needs Collection 3.0, then project A needs to get a release out.

This would be an advantage of some larger, managed by Commons, jar. It
would lag behind the releases of the minor components, much as SuSE ES and
Red Hat AS lag behind their desktop versions.

I'd expect:  Commons-J2SE.jar and Commons-J2EE.jar, the latter of which
allows things like commons-email and commons-modeler which [assuming] have
only dependencies on Commons and J2EE.

Hen