Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
Yes it's an alternative, but at the cost of additional lines to create a collection.

Date date = ComparableUtils.min(date1, date2)

vs

Collection dates = new ArrayList();
dates.add(date1);
dates.add(date2);
Date date = (Date)Collections.min(dates);

I see your point now. But, in the meanwhile, you could always do it this way:

Date date = Collections.min(Arrays.asList(new Date[] {date1, date2}))

I'd imagine that this may be a bit wasteful (object-creation wise), but it's a one liner nonetheless.