(haven't studied [id] too hard so forgive me if I'm jumping in with potential nonsense)

Stephen Colebourne wrote:

So two solutions: 1) Create one package scoped utils class in [id] with just the relevant methods on it.

2) Produce two multiple files - id-all, id-uuid and id-simple, the first two
having a codec dependency.

Why do compiletime and runtime dependancies have to be blurred? Sure the [id] project requires [codec] to compile for the uuid part but if people want to download and run just the simple stuff, they don't need codec. [codec] becomes an optional dependancy that is required only when people try to load a class that uses it - obviously a docs issue is created but a simple FAQ should sort it. Ant ran it's optional.jar this way for ages and it was pretty managable, at least while the number of dependancies was low.

Personally, I'd favour a single jar with an optional dependancy but its just another option in the cut'n'paste vs deep depencanies compromise - pleasing everyone is always going to be a struggle.

Either way, I'd avoid creating id-all.jar as having one jar containing a superset of another in the same release is confusing (at least to me) and opens the door to classpath hell.

Hope that helps,

Rob