First thought when looking at the code is that we could simplify things
with a protected Number in MutableNumber, and move the intValue etc
methods up into MutableNumber.

The getValue/ setValue(Object) can go up too, and all that would be left
in the mutable subclass is the primitive override and the constructor.

Pro: Less code in the subclasses.
Con: A protected rather than private variable. More memory is taken up
     with the mutable part being an Object and not a primitive.

Just a thought.

Hen