As I dig more into it..   I see your challenges with testing!  All the
different platforms means a LOT of external dependencies.   Something that
could be an approach would be to have two modes:  Real and Mock..  You could
Mock all the various platforms so that if someone is testing the logic of
VFS, they can run without having smb/webdav etc.  Then, to test that the
real world works, then you switch to Real mode, and run against smb and
webdav etc.

On the other hand, if you have a system setup to do this, and can therefore
run the tests for real, then maybe this isn't worth all the work.  The HTTP
one does though seem like an easy one to provide since the HTTP is a read
only provider..   But again, if you have a system, then that works..

Eric