I have used commons-workflow on a couple of projects - using it right now in fact. I'm
using it for two purposes which are I think a little beyond the original scope:

1) As a lightweight RPC mechanism, to locate and run server activities from any
arbitrary client (e.g. struts action, browser client, or any client capable of
consuming XML over HTTP).

2) As a control framework for a Java client, allowing me to reuse presentation tier
logic across multiple channels (e.g. I can re-use non-visual logic process flows in a
struts based web app).

I'm also thinking about working on an editor for composing activity flows, rather than
having to hand edit XML files. I may even end up generating code so that the
activities end up as compiled classes, rather than dynamically constructed from an
external definition. I would be using Eclipse EMF for this part, so I guess this
wouldn't end up in Jakarta, but I would probably make it available through some other
means.

Colin Sharples
IBM Business Consulting Services, New Zealand
sharples -at- nz.ibm.com