On Aug 30, 2004, at 11:36 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:

Yes, I walked into this one stupidly, especially as my original email's example specifically was not trying to target Digester as a place I disagreed, but the simpler library of BeanUtils.

Apologies for a bad example, I wasn't thinking.

BeanUtils (lots of debugging, but very low level class), HttpClient (6
debug lines), Configuration are some that leap out in my view.

Just to chime in on HttpClient's behalf... Debug logging in HttpClient is quite critical. Its primary use is as a configurable "wire" log of all HTTP requests. We would have little hope of resolving many user problems without logging.

There have also been some similar discussions of commons-logging on the HttpClient dev list lately. In particular a HttpClient user has recently posted an Ant script for changing all HttpClient commons-logging statements to log4j. My preference would be for different commons-logging jars that are statically compiled against various logging implementations. That way a user could pick the jar that is most appropriate while we develop against a single interface. I believe this is what Robert suggested earlier.

Mike