Mike,

This pattern does indeed sound interesting.  You might also want to
take a look at the [pipeline] sandbox package (contributed by Kris
Nuttycombe) that I checked in over the weekend.  It offers a different
tack on handling asynchronous events, and is also investigating how an
interaction with [chain] might be beneficial.

>From a practical perspective, there exists already a sandbox package
named [events], originally extracted from [collections].  I haven't
been tracking whether this is actually active or not; if so, we'd need
to use some different top level name for the package itself.

Craig