Ricardo Gladwell wrote:
Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

Excluding LGPLed projects is just a political decision imho.

Emmanuel Bourg

Sorry for sounding newbie about this, but what exactly are the political difficulties to hosting LGPL and ASL projects on the apache.org domain. Does the ASF and the FSF not get along?

The concept of the LGPL is quite clear for me, it's "do whatever you want with your code, but if you change my LGPL code, you have to license your modification under the LGPL".

I agree the LGPL may be worded ambiguously with regard to Java programs, but for Hibernate this ambiguity is clarified in the License FAQ. One could say this FAQ has no legal value if it's not included in the actual license, but it's not true. It's a promise made on the official site, that's endorsed by the authors, that they will not consider this usage as an infringement of their copyright, and this kind of promise has a legal value in court, see "Promissory Estoppel" for more information.

You can ask any author of a Java LGPLed project to make a similar clarification if you want to use its work in an ASLed code, I'm ready to bet none will refuse because it was the way they intended to distribute their work.

Emmanuel Bourg