Sorry if I'm getting annoying with my plugs for the Morph framework, but Morph's SimpleLanguage would allow users to use whatever expression language they are already familiar with (the Struts/BeanUtils language, the Spring language, or JSTL). The SimpleLanguage works with Maps out-of-the-box, and thus implicitly with Chain's context notion.

I will be focusing on writing test cases for Morph this weekend, so SimpleLanguage should be useable by Monday.

Matt
----- Original Message ----- From: "Joe Germuska" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Craig McClanahan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Jakarta Commons Developers List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 6:15 PM
Subject: Re: [chain] add expression evaluation?

At 3:08 PM -0800 12/2/04, Craig McClanahan wrote:
Interestingly, Digester already supports the expression replacement
mechanics (see org.apache.commons.digester.Substitutor), so it ought
to be really easy to do this kind of thing, and an elegant solution to
boot.

I'm +1 for it.

Craig

I hadn't seen that -- and it's very cool!

But a quick look leads me to believe that it would be evaluated only once, at XML ingestion time, while in the context I'm thinking of, the value of the expression would be dependent on the runtime state of the context. With Chain, I think that would be very powerful.

Joe