Richard A. Sitze
IBM WebSphere WebServices Development

Simon Kitching <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 12/15/2004 06:23:35
PM:

> On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 10:21, Richard Sitze wrote:
> > "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 12/15/2004
>
> > > ...byte-code engineering contradict each other. One of the really,
> > > really strong things of c-l is, that it needs no additional jars.
Just
> > > drop commons-logging in, develop your app, deploy with the app,
> > > commons-logging and a logger implementation, off you go.
> >
> > This is a strong point from a "lazy" point of view [no offense,
please].
> > But it's also one if it's greatest weaknesses.  You have no way of
knowing
> > which logger impl. you are going to be using.  Yes, you can configure.
No,
> > there is no assurance that what you configured will be used...   you
can
> > check it once, but when you start deploying your applications in
> > production, you have to re-check.. and re-check... and you never know
when
> > someone's going to change the classpath and change the behavior.  It's
> > nightmare.
>
> I think this demonstrates a major issue.
>
> When using logging in an "enterprise" situation, the logging can be
> considered a critical part of the application. If you have heavy-duty
> monitoring systems watching for alerts from the software, and have
> sysadmins on call 24x7 to deal with issues, then for an application to
> fail to locate the correct logging libs or config files is a *failure*
> of the app. You don't want an app to start up, but then not be able to
> generate alerts if problems occur.
>
> But when using logging in other situations, logging is *not* a critical
> part, and should not cause an application to fail to start.
>
> The latter is the focus of commons-logging at the moment. And
> unfortunately as commons-logging has no *mandatory* configuration, it is
> not possible to add a "fail-on-no-config" option!

I do not advocate a fail-on-no-config or fail-on-ambiguous-config.

I advocate a *warn* or *error* on either, using the simple default logger.
 The warning will be visible on the console, which suffices for my
immediate concerns.  How that warning/error (in general) is managed is up
to the application environment.

> So perhaps we could build two separate jars from mostly-common source
> code? Deploying the traditional commons-logging jar would do the "be
> quiet on no config", while the "enterprise" commons-logging jar would do
> something like "write message to STDERR then throw a runtime exception
> on no config"?
>
> > Yes, I want to maintain the "easy" route as much as possible, but it's

> > time we adopt proven best practices from the industry and stop falling
all
> > over ourselves to keep a few programmers happy.  It's easier to figure
out
> > what your problem is if you missed one of two required jar files, than
it
> > is to debug the current situation.  Strategies have been discussed in
more
> > detail on other threads, so I'm not going to go in this any further
here.

> I think this depends on what your application's goal is. You seem to be
> thinking *only* of commons-logging from a J2EE point of view. Writers of
> stand-alone apps often want exactly the behaviour that commons-logging
> currently gives, and would be very against commons-logging terminating
> apps unless config is found.

The environments in question are not [necessarily] related to J2EE.  The
particular issues should be generalized to more complex classloader
hierarchies... which is something JCL explicitly attempts to support.