On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 15:14:36 -0500, Phil Steitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Henri Yandell wrote:
> > Not a huge issue for things like Lang which have no dependencies, but
> > for other things like Digester I think it would be a lot better if the
> > binary tar.gz contained the jars it depends on?
>
> Just my HO, but to me that defeats the purpose of
> ibiblio/java-repository.  It also bloats distros and adds to the
> effective contract of the distro and responsibility of the RM needlessly
> (Would doing this effectively require us to store whatever jars were
> grabbed at release time in cvs/svn?)

Nope. The jars come from the ibiblio/java-repo at dist-time.

A maven user would still use it in the same way, but maven users do
not use the tar.gz distributions, they use the jars in the repos.

> I may be in the minority here, but I have never liked the "bundle all
> dependencies for convenience" approach -- either as a user or as a
> developer.  As a user, I am never sure exactly what I am getting "in the
> bundled version"  <cut>

dependencies/commons-logging-1.0.3.jar
dependencies/commons-beanutils-1.7.jar

> <cut> I understand that for complex products like
>   struts or tomcat, it may be impractical *not* to bundle dependencies;
> but I do not see it as necessary for commons components.

If I download the digester.tar.gz, I then need to download the
logging.tar.gz and the beanutils.tar.gz.

Hen