The standard HTML format is *not* the only output format you can get
with Javadocs -- it is quite feasible to render alternative XML-based
formats that can then be transformed using standard XML technologies
-- but that only works if the markup created by Javadocs comments is
well formed.

In addition, the lack of rigor that HTML requires has always been my
least favorite thing about the web in general -- I wish we'd started
with a culture that requires well formed XML in the first place.  Not
having done so has had a *direct* impact on the portability of
documents across browsers, and that impact has been negative overall.

The same mistake has essentially been made with RSS -- instead of
being disciplined about what they produce, RSS providers have expected
the newsfeed readers to go through incredible contortions to read
invalid feeds.  That philosophy is backwards.

I prefer to set a good example on things like this, rather than
contributing to the problem.

Craig