At 9:23 AM -0800 2/16/05, Craig McClanahan wrote:
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:08:14 -0500, Sean Schofield
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 > I'm just hesitant to add a new dependency on my own whim.  JEXL isn't
 > very heavy (132 K) but I think people are keen on keeping Chain light
 > too.

 Keeping chain light would be nice.  I don't know too much about JEXL
 personally although I will be investigating it shortly as an
 alternative to Velocity for some template stuff I have.  How would you
 propose doing it if you didn't use JEXL?

> Joe

Digester has some limited parameter substitution capabilities that could be applied when the chain configuration is being parsed. Is that enough to satisfy the kinds of things you're thinking of that might want expressions?

I don't think so, since I'm specifically interested in runtime state. "Is the ActionForm in *this* context valid?" "Look up the command with the name matching the value of the 'path' property of the current ForwardConfig." "Look up and execute a command only if the current value of context property "unitsOrdered" is greater than 1000."

Again, for some or all of these, one could probably manage with judicious use of CopyCommand and LookupCommand, possibly augmented by some very simple compiled Java commands which might have properties for some configurability.

If there's hesitation to formally add any external dependency to the project, then when I get around to writing some of these, I'll just put them up somewhere and invite people to have a look. If people don't feel that a compile-time dependency on JEXL (which is small and which has seen a 1.0 release) is too great a burden, then I'll do them directly in the repository in a package which clearly separates them from the dependency-free classes (org.apache.commons.chain.impl.expr or org.apache.commons.chain.impl.jexl).

Joe

--
Joe Germuska [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://blog.germuska.com "Narrow minds are weapons made for mass destruction" -The Ex