With 1.9 the generated ant file allows the user to set itself the
dependency with a property.
I published the doc here :
http://www.apache.org/~brett/maven-stage-site/reference/plugins/ant/
You can try it :
maven plugin:download
 -Dmaven.repo.remote=http://cvs.apache.org/repository
 -DgroupId=maven
 -DartifactId=maven-ant-plugin
 -Dversion=SNAPSHOT

If you find a problem we can resolve them before the 1.9 release.

Arnaud