I have gone back and forth a few times with one of the JAMA developers at NIST (Bruce Miller) and legal-discuss and have finally asked the ASF board for a ruling on whether or not we can start pulling in some JAMA code. I wanted to start with the QR class, so we can use that to get multiple regression implemented with decent numerics.

Before we start down this path, though I want to present some logical alternatives and get others' reactions to them. Rather than pulling in bits of implementation code, we could

1) Introduce a jar dependency on JAMA and wrap / extend / directly use the stuff we need. For the QR use case, there will be no performance / efficiency hit from this. For some of the other RealMatrix uses, this might be tricky.

2) Bring in the full code base. This would probably result in a side trip through the incubator and might provide the occasion to get us kicked out of commons (I am sure there are some who will be happy to see us go :-) but that might be a good thing. I don't know yet if the JAMA guys would go for this, am interested in opinions of others here.

If I get the go ahead from the board, we will need to decide between

0) fork selected stuff into [math] and pass bug fixes back and forth with JAMA

and 1) or 2).  WDYT?

Note that the same considerations apply to RngPack.

Phil