On Sun, 2005-03-20 at 13:09 +1200, Simon Kitching wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> After working on issues in commons-beanutils and commons-logging linked
> to behaviour within j2ee-style environments, I've come to the conclusion
> that there is currently *no* way to correctly implement the Singleton
> pattern within code that might be deployed in a j2ee-style environment.
>
> This is rather disconcerting.
>
> I believe there is a way, though, that the standard Java library could
> be enhanced to make this possible. In other words, a proposal would need
> to be submitted as an enhancement to java via the Java Community
> Process. Could people please have a look at this and tell me whether
> they think I'm right or that they think I'm nuts?

i think you're dead right

it's not just JCL and beanutils but also log4j are running into
difficulties with this issue.

if other people agree with this assessment, then you might want to chat
with henri and gier to see whether we can't submit this from a higher,
apache level.

> The doc is here:
>   http://www.apache.org/~skitching/ContextClassLoaderLocal.html

now that needs to be:

http://cvs.apache.org/~skitching/ContextClassLoaderLocal.html

FWIW i think that craig coined the term pseudo-singleton for this
pattern. emphasising it's similarity to thread local is probably a good
thing, though.

- robert