Wouter De Borger wrote:
So, I can as well build one that fits the needs of the Commons project.
This could be great.

The idea now is not only to provide acces to files stored in the
database, also to make regular tables accessable, perhaps as an
extended form of TableModels (or anything else)(sugestions welkom,
Could you please express a little bit more in detail how you would like to view the sturcture of a table in vfs?
What is the path?
What is its content?
What about file attributes?
What is your planned destination database. BLOB might be a pain to handle if you e.g. think about oracle and I am unsure if this is really possible in an database independent way.

Trying to map a filesystem into a database and map any database to a filesytem like structure are two different stories, arent they?

I dont know what your primary goal is, but for sure, if we could work out a database model to map a filesystem in it might be a good start.
The JDBC stuff should be abstract enough to allow implementations for different databases.

---
Mario