You're right, it are two goals,

I need two functions:

-storing files into databases, including some metadata
(the easy part)
-representing tables as virtual files, thus files which can not be
accessed in a regular way, but their type indicadtes a handler class
that cast the FileObject to a TableObject and uses them.

I might need to clarify that. I need the filesystem for a ranking and
reporting system for climbing contest. Because every contest is ranked
different, a new table an a new handler class is needed. The virtual
filesystem makes it possible to store both the handler classes and the
data in one database. By using the java plugin framework, I can make a
click and open functionality for pure virtual objects like tables. And
easy support for packing (just sending them in a zip filesystem). Once
the framewrk is stable, it can be used to transmit content of any kind
AND the handler. (imagine how easy it becomes to recieve encrypted
images in a new format, it just writing out  a long URL and waiting
for the handlers to download)

but, that's the dream.

-My first implementation wil just build a filesystem in a table. First
I'll do it the blob way.

-then I'm going to try to add the table-handler model

-then make handlers for more obscure file stores (like converting it
to text and storing that, in chunks or not)

I hope I'm a litle clear

Wouter

PS: I think standard SQL is like a gravity gun, cool, but not existant
PPS: I'm first going to make it for MySQL, because I have that installed

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 20:02:16 +0100, Mario Ivankovits <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Wouter De Borger wrote:
> >So, I can as well build one that fits the needs of the Commons project.
> >
> This could be great.
>
> >The idea now is not only to provide acces to files stored in the
> >database, also to make regular tables accessable, perhaps as an
> >extended form of TableModels (or anything else)(sugestions welkom,
> >
> Could you please express a little bit more in detail how you would like
> to view the sturcture of a table in vfs?
> What is the path?
> What is its content?
> What about file attributes?
> What is your planned destination database. BLOB might be a pain to
> handle if you e.g. think about oracle and I am unsure if this is really
> possible in an database independent way.
>
> Trying to map a filesystem into a database and map any database to a
> filesytem like structure are two different stories, arent they?
>
> I dont know what your primary goal is, but for sure, if we could work
> out a database model to map a filesystem in it might be a good start.
> The JDBC stuff should be abstract enough to allow implementations for
> different databases.
>
> ---
> Mario

Gmail rules