Wouter De Borger wrote:
we need at least one extra field, jdbc can't connect without a
subprotocol, so ill put it in front of the host portion
Ah, yes, you are right. So we end up with something like this:

dbfs://user:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:host:dbname/

But this is not the end of the story. Unhappily the differences begin with the url

   * *jdbc:odbc:dsn_name;UID=your_uid;PWD=your_pwd* - JDBC-ODBC Bridge
     Driver URL.
   * *jdbc:oracle:thin:@machine_name:port_number:instance_name* - Orace
     Type 4 JDBC Driver.
   * *jdbc:mysql://host_name:port/dbname* - MySQL Connector/J JDBC Driver.

What do you think if we start with something like a registry? It could be a simple global one. Then we could do this:

DbfsRegistry.addDatasource(name, url, driver, username, password)

And end with a simple url like
dbfs://user:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/

And as I said, later we allow to not only have to use our registry but also jndi.
(user:pass only allowed if there was no username/password given in addDatasource)

---
Mario