Rami Ojares wrote:

Anyway quickly trying the snapshot in my program brings
no errors.

Well, that great!

By the way could you add the following to VFS
public static void close() {

BTW you know its sideeffects?
You no longer can use VFS in threaded environments as this close closes ALL filesystems.

(I have some gc problems and this alleviates it a bit)

Lets try to figure it out. I use vfs in an webapp and never had a problem with memory consumption.
Maybe I can add a method to dump the cache content, that way we might find whats the problem - if its VFS fault.

Why is uml or vmware needed?

Your asumption about the used servers is correct.
Now why uml or vmware: It is a pain to setup all this stuff and keep it in sync with any junit changes.
With uml or vmware I can provide a image one simply can drop into its box and startup the tests.
So no security problem, just to simplify the installation.

Of course if you are planning on testing stuff on many platforms and
different server implementations

Just as a sidenote:
I think it is not the responsibility of VFS to ensure running with different server implementations.
The used libraries should handle this. Though, we should do what we can to support them finding problems with exotic platforms.

If you could give a quick tutorial (that could be added then to docs) about how to run tests I could give it a shot. And I have even an XP on separate machine for smb testing.

I am not at home now, I will send one later.

It seems to my that currently the providers could be categorized into
4 categories:

correct.

- temp seems to have a special place because almost nothing is implemented
under temp package. So the implementation must be somewhere higher.

Tempfs uses the DefaultFileReplicator to handle its content.

I assume that the implementation uses java's temporary file concept from
java.io.File API ???

Not exactly as the filename handling is somewhat different.

- resources have a special place for a java program and earn their place
because of that.

Yes.

- url provider bothers me because it kind of duplicates vfs. And it DUPLICATES the effort of vfs (http, ftp, jar ...)

Now you get emotional ;-)
Its better to integrate than to rule out.
We also provide a method to wrap VFS into a URLConnection.

And then one question about layered filesystems.
Can you layer them as much as you like.
smb -> zip -> jar etc.

Yes - should work. It is done by expanding every archive into the temporary store.

--- Mario