On 7 Apr 2005, at 02:09, Steve Cohen wrote:

Neeme Praks wrote:

Also, I noticed that your java sources are in some strange encoding. If I open those tests that use french letters in my Eclipse and save them then they become corrupt and will fail.
My configuration assumes that all source files are in UTF8 and I think that should be the most reasonable assumption, no?

The files in question here are org.apache.commons.net.ftp.parser.FTPTimestampParserImplTest.java
and
org.apache.commons.net.ftp.FTPClientConfig.java
in the jakarta-commons-net project.

Mr. Praks is correctly pointing out that my test code (and other source code) depends sometimes on typing string literals in languages other than English. What is the CORRECT way to handle this in source code, and what can I do to make editors such as Eclipse handle it correctly?

that depends on your file encoding :)

if you use UFT-8 (which is typical) it's safest to use unicode escaping when dealing with any non-ascii characters.

- robert