"Jakarta Commons Developers List" <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org> schrieb am
18.04.05 11:29:38:

> At 2005-04-18 11:11, Daniel Florey wrote:
> > > My though was to re-use the basename or id used when "installing"
> > > ResourceBundle or XML providers. For example, after issuing
> > >    ResourceBundleMessageProvider.install("errorMessages");
> > > I would like to be able to qualify the newly installed messages with
> > >    MessageBundle msg = new MessageBundle("errorMessages",
> > "unexpectedError");
> > > but also keep the existing alternative with
> > >    MessageBundle msg = new MessageBundle("unexpectedError"); //
> > > "unexpectedError" from any source
> >
> >Do you want this to be able to install different resources with the same
> >message key or is it mainly because of implementation details (performance)?
>
> Primarily multiple entries with same key, secondarily performance.
>
> > > This may seem like a minor change at a first glance, but to also improve
> > > performance my thought was to to change the MessageManager class from
> > > holding a list of provider instances - which in turn can contain multiple
> > > resources (and thus assumes one instance per provider class) - to
> > holding a
> > > Map from basename/id/namespace/qualifier to provider instance, where each
> > > instance only contains a single resource (i.e. XML-file/ResourceBundle).
> > > Though I planned on backwards compatibilty, by looping over the Map values
> > > - instead of the List entries - in the current MessageManager.getText()
> > method.
> > > (Did I make myself clear?)
> >
> >I try my best to get your point...
> >At the moment there is only one MessageProvider holding many resources.
> >You want to change this to many MessageProviders holding one resource each
> >in order to improve performance?
>
> Yes. Instead of having to loop through the providers - catching exceptions
> from those who do not contain the entry, which is quite costly performance
> wise - and get the first match, I want to be able to point out the source
> which I expect to hold the entry. But then again, todays behaviour should
> be kept as the default behaviour when not using a basename/namespace
> qualification.
>
> >I currently don't have access to the sources as I'm on a project in Jordan
>
> (You can browse them online,
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/i18n/xref/index.html is quite
> easy to navigate)
>
> >but as soon as I'm back home I'll try to have a closer look at this.
>
> Should I try to create a patch suggestion which you could look at then?

Yes, this would be great!
It would be very (very) appreciated, if you could provide some testcases... I
started to write some a while ago, but never managed to complete them. If we
would have a complete testsuite we could refactor without the fear to break
something ;-)
If we get the testsuite done and improve the documentation, we hopefully can
move the component to commons proper soon...

Cheers,
Daniel