> > Can anyone show any real security issues resulting from child-first
>
> i would suggest that the operative word here is real. it is very
> possible for sun to have chosen to recommend parent-first as the default
> for the reason given whilst at the same time the threat not being
> particularly credible in real life.

This sounds reasonable to me.  It would be nice to have something definitive,
however.  I think it's an interesting topic and I've be following it on this
list.  So far, all the security risks Simon has referenced (and questioned)
don't seem to go much beyond hand-waving so I agree with him they are dubious.
A test case demonstrating some of these alleged security risks would be
helpful; I can't put my head around them without more detail and context.
Could be that these risks only affect 1% or real-world apps under a specific
scenario.  Even if it's 0.01% or entirely theoretical, a test case would be
useful to even understand what the risk really is supposed to be.

As an aside, isn't "child-first" really a misnomer and it's more like
"parent-last"?  Assuming the parent is at the top of the hierarchy, child-first
implies (to me), that the heirarchy is walked downwardly from the parent, not
upwardly from the bottom.

Mike Colbert