On Sun, 2005-05-22 at 22:48 +1200, Simon Kitching wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As you have probably seen from the commit messages, I have added
> diagnostic output to LogFactory.java and LogFactoryImpl.java. I hope the
> implementation meets with everyone's agreement; if not, I'll fix it.

everything seems fine at first glance. the more eyes on it, the better
(though) - so don't anyone else feel shy to speak up :)

> You will note that in most places I have not bothered to put
>   if (isDiagnosticsEnabled()) {
>   }
> around calls, even when strings are being concatenated. This is because
> *none* of these calls are on the critical path. Diagnostics are only
> ever output when a LogFactoryImpl is created for the first time, and I
> can't see much benefit in optimising code that is called once per
> classloader....

i agree about your assessment about performance.

however, having wasted too many hours trying to arguing about
performance, if i get a minute, i'll go through and put checks around
calls just to stop any arguments later. (don't think that they'll be too
much negative performance impact from it.)

- robert