> On Thu, 2005-06-16 at 23:09 -0700, Brian Stansberry wrote:
> > donkin wrote:
> >
> > But I don't think the weakref stuff does any harm
> > either (as long as
> > there are no bugs in it!). So I'd be -0 to including
> > it, not -1.
>
> If the WeakHashtable stuff is going to stay, I'm
> wondering if it should be in the main jar.  If it's in
> the optional jar we have to explain how to use it,
> which could easily be interpreted as implying it will
> solve memory leaks, which in many cases it won't.  If
> we at the same time encourage using
> commons-logging-adapters.jar (which will defeat the
> WeakHashtable), well, let's just say I'll be looking
> forward to the Bile Blog entry :)
>
> The downside to having it in the main jar is it will
> be there by default, adding runtime overhead.
>
> I'm personally indifferent on this (even as to whether
> it stays at all), but thought the above was worth
> pointing out.

It would definitely be simpler to include WeakHashtable in the standard
jar. And I see your point about the confusion inherent in explaining
when someone should use the optional jar.

I don't think performance is a big deal. This class will be slower than
a normal Hashtable. However stuff that applies when log.debug() is
called matters; stuff that applies when LogFactory.getLog is called
isn't nearly as significant. The WeakHashtable falls into the second
category, so no problems there as far as I am concerned.

And I don't think having the class in the jar is a big deal in terms of
space. It's only one class.

On the other hand, it's only a "maybe" fix, while using a
ServletContextListener is a guaranteed fix. And it's more code,
increasing the potential places for a bug - though I don't believe there
is one in that code.

In the end, I think I'm also totally neutral on this.

Regards,

Simon