From: robert burrell donkin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, September 11, 2005 4:46 PM
To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
Subject: RE: [Digester] Question about ports

On Sat, 2005-09-10 at 13:11 +1200, Simon Kitching wrote:
> [Aargh - I hate top-posting!]
>
> If someone wants to move Digester to Apache XML, I wouldn't object.
> However I don't feel particularly motivated to do it myself.

xml is now a federation of top level projects. IMHO digester isn't big
enough to be a TLP.

> I think the easiest way to deal with this particular case (python/ruby
> versions of Digester) is for the ports to be separate projects at
> sourceforge/rubyforge/etc. I'm happy to have links to those projects
> from the Digester homepage and the Wiki.

+1

feel free to post stuff to this list (announcements and so on or
questions) if you want...

> Running these projects as real Apache projects means that committers
> must be Apache committers, which means project members (like Silas) need
> to go through a fairly lengthy "trial" phase with an existing Apache
> committer (or several) willing to evaluate patches etc. before being
> proposed as official Apache committers. I don't know if any existing
> Digester committers are python people - I'm certainly not. So it just
> looks easier to run this stuff as an external project. Anyway, it's not
> really the same project; it's just a project in a different language
> that happens to share the same basic architectural concepts.

+1

apache is changing quite a lot at the moment and a lot of process stuff
is still being developed and documented. there's quite a danger of
losing momentum if you become entangled with the process ATM. IMHO
better to start coding now: there's always the possibility of moving to
apache later.

- robert