Phil Steitz wrote:

There is general consensus that it is OK to publish snapshots to our
"internal" repository at cvs.apache.org/repository (aka
"java-repository"), but not to ibibilio.  The snaps on cvs.apache.org
are not guaranteed to remain there and users should not be encouraged
to use them in production applications.  Others can jump in here and
state different opinions, but I think at least within commons we are
in agreement that we publish only released jars to ibiblio.

Some apache projects vote on and release formal betas and some
separate release votes from stability votes.  At this point, in
commons, we follow the process described here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/releases, which is to fix contents
of the release via a release plan, then cut RCs for download /
inspection from people.apache.org, iterating until a full release vote
passes and we publish to apache mirros and ibibilio.

This process and the Jakarta voting / release guidelines really
predate maven.  It may be reasonable to add a "push RC jars to
java-repository" to the RC process.  If other commons committers are
OK with pushing RC jars to java-repository, I will do this for the
current [math] RC and update
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/releases to add a "publish to
java-repository" step to the RC step.  This creates a little more work
for RMs, but if it means the RCs get more / better testing and we are
all OK with it from support / oversight perspective, I am OK with it

That'd be great! java-repository is just as easy to add it to the list
of maven remote repos.

Thanks!
Cheers