On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 21:43 +0100, Christian Meder wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 03:00 +0000, Niall Pemberton wrote:

> > > Some of the format options for displaying times take a time zone parameter
> > > (so that it can be included in the emitted string).  Simply pass null if
> > > it
> > > doesn't matter to you.
> >
> > I don't see any valid formats specified in java.text.MessageFormat
> > that take a TimeZone. Thats slightly irrelevant though since AFAIK
> > Commons Resources doesn't deal anywhere with message formats. My
> > understanding that happends after the resource has been retrieved,
> > something like....
> >
> >     String msgResource = myResources.getString("foo.key", locale, null);
> >     MessageFormat msgFormat = new MessageFormat(msgResource);
> >     msgFormat.setLocale(locale);
> >     String message = msgFormat.format(args);
> >
> > Have I got the wrong end of the stick on this? Struts MessageResources
> > does do the MessageFormat bit, but Commons Resources doesn't.
>
> Actually I just nuked my reply (still stuck on my laptop) which
> reiterated my concern from my mail a couple of days that
> MessageResources and the MessageFormat stuff is missing like you did.
> But I guess I found it: it's in Messages.
>
> So I guess it should be more along the line:
>
> Messages myMsgResources = new Messages(myResources);
> String message = myMsgResources.getMessage(locale, "foo.key", args);
>
> But there are some things which should get improved wrt Messages:
>
> * include all parametric replacement options like in Struts
> MessageResources (not only arg0 and [] args)

Following up to myself:

I just found the following in the log for Messages:

r142735 | dgraham | 2003-10-02 02:24:13 +0200 (Thu, 02 Oct 2003) | 8
lines
Changed paths:

/jakarta/commons/proper/resources/trunk/src/java/org/apache/commons/resources/Messages.java

/jakarta/commons/proper/resources/trunk/src/test/org/apache/commons/resources/MessagesTestCase.java

Removed Messages methods that provided 2-4 replacement
arguments that were carried over from Struts.  This makes
the interface easier to understand and the implementation
simpler.  The methods that are left provide for 0, 1, or an
array of replacement arguments.

I happen to disagree with the reasoning but I wanted to put this up for
discussion.

--
Christian Meder, email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The Way-Seeking Mind of a tenzo is actualized
by rolling up your sleeves.

                (Eihei Dogen Zenji)