Mario Ivankovits wrote:
Hi!
Require services to provide the meta-data information that could then be
transfered and exposed to the client. Using either anotations on 1.5, or
for example an xml file on older systems.
Hmmm, what if we use a simple properties file to describe them.
e.g. SvnCheckout.properties
port=The port used for communication
host=The host
then we can localize them too. We can have separate files or one per "service group".

How to mark a parameter optional (or not) is a good point.
Yup, because of that, and other kind of information that will be needed ( i.e. a description of what the action does ), i think an xml would be a better match

i.e.

<action-metadata>
   <description>This action allows to checkout the file on the SVN to the local
filesystem</description>
   <argument name='revision' optional='true' description='The revision that should
be checked out'/>
   <argument name='targetDir' optional='false' description='The directory to which
the code should be checked out'/>
</action-metadata>

Today I would use annotations for it (e.g. @NotNull) but we have to stick with jdk 1.3 for a while. For now we can put then into another properties file too and provide the suggested api to query it, so we can change this to annotations it we are able to upgrade.
No reason why not have both :-)

If the code is running in a 1.5 vm, check for annotations, if it's not, or no annotations were found, check for a metadata xml.