In this respect don't forget our own apache project mina :

http://directory.apache.org/subprojects/network/index.html

Mvgr,
Martin

David Smiley wrote:
Last I recall, the HTTPClient team abandoned the idea of an NIO based HTTPClient implementation since testing that Oleg did turned up poor results.

I happened upon some information today which may cause the HTTPClient team to rethink this:
http://weblogs.java.net/blog/jfarcand/archive/2005/06/ grizzly_an_http.html
It's a blog about "Grizzly", an HTTP Listener using NIO for GlassFish.
It's worth reading all of it.

~ David Smiley