I noticed several projects recently switching to cobertura for their
code coverage reports.

I tried cobertura, too, and was very content with the results. ATM in
configuration we use jcoverage, but this product seems to have some
problems, especially with inner classes. So I would suggest switching to
cobertura, too.

Would it make sense to define a standard coverage analysis tool for all
commons components? If so, which other products could be candidates?

Oliver