robert burrell donkin wrote:
On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 18:01 +1300, Simon Kitching wrote:
Hi,

When I first proposed the ServletContextCleaner class be bundled with
JCL, there was some opposition.
I was finally convinced this wasn't a good idea by one particular
argument: that it's difficult for rebundlers (eg creating .rpm packages
with the code compiled via gcj) because the servlet library may not be
compilable with the same tools. Anyway, having this class in the
documentation or on a wiki is also reasonably convenient for users.

However I now see on the wiki that this "will ship".
  http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/Logging/1.1.0ReleasePlan
Does anyone have more information about this decision?

yep - that was me trying to get some release preparations started last
month (but things got a little sidetracked...)

a couple of observations:

1 none of the current artifacts are really particularly suitable for
rebundlers
2 some downstream rebundlers incorrectly declare a dependency on the
full commons-logging and of the rest, many cut their own from the
source.

my proposal was to address rebundlers by adding a separate minimal build
into the ant file (no dependencies) and then documenting some
guidelines. if this is done then IMO there's no reason not to ship
cleaner.

NB: I'm hoping to knock JCL1.1 into releasable state over the coming
weekend and hold a vote on creating the first RC. Robert/Brian are you
out there??

out there but less active than i'd like to be on commons stuff. lots of
apache stuff blew up at the foundation level recently :-/

but if you've got some time over the next week or two, i'll make some
JCL time. one job that i'd really like to do before shipping 1.1 is to
finish a comprehensive troubleshooting guide.
IIRC you created a best practise document on the wiki. do you know what
happened to it?

BTW dennis should have an apache account by now

Yep I'm here, with a fresh account. I have time to spare on JCL right now.

--
Dennis Lundberg