On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 20:42 -0500, Rahul Akolkar wrote:
> On 1/24/06, Jörg Schaible <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > which version of Maven and the xdoc-plugin is necessary to build the site of
> > a component? Building for commons-id, I just get:
> >
> > ====== %< =======
> > xdoc:jelly-transform:
> >    [echo]
> > Generating /home/joehni/src/Jakarta/sandbox/id/target/docs/javadoc.html
> > from /home/joehni/src/Jakarta/sandbox/id/target/generated-xdocs/javadoc.xml
> > Could not find the class: org.apache.commons.jelly.tags.fmt.FmtTagLibrary
> > java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> > org.apache.commons.jelly.tags.fmt.FmtTagLibrary
> > ====== %< =======
> >
> > Maven is 1.0.2
> <snip/>
>
> Thats good.
>

> > xdoc-plugin is 1.8
> <snap/>
>
> Try 1.9.2. Some folks have begun adding a specific version dependency
> to the POM (marked "site" only).
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/commons-build/trunk/pluginUpdate.txt
>
> This has become a popular question, need to put it on the wiki as
> well. Maybe after dinner ...

The current setup really sucks in my opinion.

Is it the commons-build stuff that requires this plugin version? If so,
why isn't the pom for commons-build declaring a reference on it? It's
ridiculous for each project to have to do so.

The link to the "pluginUpdate" stuff is not good also. The point of
these build tools is that they download the bits they need
automatically; having to explicitly install a bunch of plugins (of
versions that are undocumented in the thing being built) is like a leap
back into the last century.

Regards,

Simon