On 3/6/06, Martin Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 3/6/06, Phil Steitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > On 3/6/06, Henri Yandell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > <snip/>
> >
> > > It might make things simpler to draw up an entire future re-org of
> > > Jakarta. See who gets dropped through the cracks and decide if we have
> > > to kill, accept or leave them to stand alone. There are some obvious
> > > ones for JWC, and some that just don't seem to fit and would have to
> > > stand alone.
> >
> > I disagree there, and that is what actually led me to move to +1 for
> > Stephen's proposal, when I have consistently argued against breaking
> > j-c up in the past.  I think it is reasonable to attack the "problem"
> > (which, like some others I am not sure is as much a problem as some of
> > us think) of lack of organization by letting self-organizing ideas
> > like the one being discussed here move forward.  In other words,
> > instead of asking, "OK, so now how to we organize the rest of the
> > stuff?" we instead focus on getting JLC going and then keep an open
> > mind for the rest.  Maybe the remaining commons components continue
> > just fine for another several years.  Maybe the struts components move
> > over to struts and the JEE-ish things move into Geronimo or JWC really
> > happens and they mostly move there.  Maybe [math] finally gets a job
> > and leaves home.  And maybe none of this happens, or it happens slowly
> > and independently.  The key thing is to have it driven by people who
> > want to make it happen.
>

> Nicely said. Exactly. Organic growth.

It all comes back to my main problem - there is no Jakarta community.
You're right about organic growth being the best way, let it happen.
JLC will head off and enjoy its health etc. For Jakarta as a whole
organic-growth of the subcommunities is not good.

Maybe the answer is that we just accept Jakarta as a collection of
communities and find out what the ASF want to do about that.

Hen