IIRC, we've been advised against overuse of svn:externals before. The mechanism I've described is simple enough - just use the Internet for what it was supposed to be used for. And no duplicated files at all.

Stehen

Sandy McArthur wrote:
Seems to me we should use svn externals to link the files that would
be in commons-build so they appear as part of the checkout. This way
you don't have to get two things from svn to build a project's site
and we don't have the same files repeadted over and over.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.externals.html