On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 23:51 +0000, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> robert burrell donkin wrote:
> > the int map stuff has been stalled for the last week but i hope to be
> > able to get back on track sometime this week. i know that a new
> > primitives release is pencilled in without int map but i'd like to get
> > the API's out there for feedback without waiting too long.
> >
> > i see a couple of reasonable options:
> >
> > 1 create a release branch now for the upcoming primitives release
> > 2 add int maps into contrib
>
> A release was suggested, but there is no-one around to actually do it.

what actually needs doing?

(other than the mechanics, of course)

> As such I suspect that your int map stuff will be complete before a
> release happens.

that depends: given the scope and the amount of time i have free, it's
likely to be several weeks before i have the implementations i want.

the last attempt to release JCL 1.1 failed due to lack of interest but i
haven't given up. IMO it's worth doing since it fixes much of the
existing mess. since my plan to cut an alpha for testing failed.

> That said, there is no harm in tagging primitives now, enabling a branch
> to be taken from the tag. (or are svn branches/tags different from cvs)

in subversion: all are one and one is all :)

do a 'copy with history': if it ends up in tags then it's a tag, if it
ends up in branches, it's a branch. this makes things much, much easier.

no tag is necessary with subversion (it's easy enough to take a copy
from the revision before the int map stuff gets committed) but IMO it's
neater that way.

so, i'll take a tag.

- robert