From: C. Grobmeier [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, April 21, 2006 8:16 AM
To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
Subject: Re: Contributing Code

Hi,

> I am interested in contributing code to commons.  I wrote a
> ModifiableZip class, that basically implements all the methods on
> ZipFile, but provides new methods for adding, removing and modifying
> entries in an existing zip file.
> The basics work, but it is still a bit rough around the edges.  I need
> to do a bit more work on
>    1)  Getting the proper apis
>    2)  Changing package names + general refactoring
>    3)  Making sure there is less duplication between what I have and
> what is implemented in compress (there are common elements in
> org.apache.commons.compress.ZipOutputStream that I feel we could share)
>    4)  Filling in some of the smaller bits like file attributes, etc.
>    5)  There are some other known bugs
>
> I thought it made sense to contribute this now, and apply patches, since
> I figured this could be useful to the VFS folks, and thought it might be
> able to go into Compress, in which case being able to get feedback and
> requirements from the communities earlier (rather than later) will be
> useful.

this is great. I am doing work on compress at the moment, if you like i
send you the current code via email (i am not a comitter too). I will
check out your code and will try to put it into my current
implementation. It would be great if we could do this stuff together.

> The zip file is
> http://sandbox.sourcelabs.com/willpugh/myzip_contribution.zip
>
> I'm not an Apache committer.  Should this be going through the incubator
> first?

IMHO not- it's just a enhancement to a allready incubatet codebase.
But i am not an expert on this stuff, so somebody please correct me if i
am writing bullshit.

Cheers,
Chris.

>   Thanks,
>   --Will

- --
Christian Grobmeier
Possessed Management
Hurlacher Str. 5 - 86853 Langerringen - Germany
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Mobil: +(49)(0)175 57 66830
Fax: +(49) (0)8232 959119
Web: http://www.possessed.de