On 5/23/06, Martin Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 5/23/06, robert burrell donkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Jochen Wiedmann ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) is a pmc'er over in web services
> land. Jochen would like commons karma
> (http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-general/200605.mbox/%
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]) to help work on file-upload.

Since when did we start inviting people into Jakarta based on their first
(AFAIK) proposed - and not yet accepted - patch? Has anyone looked at the
patch? I haven't seen any discussion on it, and I know that I'm not going to
have time to look at it until the weekend, long after this vote will have
closed, apparently.

This is nothing personal against Jochen - I don't know him at all - and is

My +1 was based on having seen Jochen's name popping around in various
places over the years.

not related to the fact that his contribution is for FileUpload. I'm just
very concerned at how low we're setting the bar these days. I, for one, do
not subscribe to the "Some of the guys over in project X think Fred is OK,
so he must be OK" modus operandum. Are we really saying that we'll allow
other projects to decide on who merits commit access to Jakarta? That's what
Hen appears to be saying, and I object strongly.

More that we'd be very open to anyone who has already earnt the trust
of the apache community. If a project wanted to pull a subcomponent
out of their code and make it more generically available, it'd be nice
if they felt they could bring it to commons without feeling like they
were handing it over to the commons community and hoping that we'd
continue to make releases etc. Rather they'd view themselves as a part
of the commons community.

In respect to Yoav's comment, it wasn't intended as a way to give
potentially inactive components a kickstart.

Hen